DEPARTMENT OF ARABIC STUDIES IN BRIEF
The Department was established in 1976 and enrolment commenced in 1977 with four students and five lecturers. The initial B.A programme was of 3 year duration. It was later converted to four years, when the country adopted 6-3-3-4 Education system. Since then, the number kept on increasing.
In 1988, the Ph.D. Programme was started in the Department with two candidates, while the M.A. programme was later started in 1994.
- Equip students with broad knowledge of Arabic language
- Enable students acquire spoken and written competence in Arabic Language
- Train students to appreciate the linguistic diversity and richness embodied in Arabic language locally, regionally and globally
- Produce graduates who will apply their knowledge of the life of speakers of the language, to promote international relations and diplomacy
- Equip students with adequate training for professional jobs in the fields of teaching, translation and interpretation, administration, journalism, judiciary and relevant establishments
- Prepare students for higher studies and research in Arabic and related disciplines
- To enable the student to acquire spoken and written competence in Arabic Language.
- To train the students to be appreciate the linguistic diversity and richness of Nigeria, Africa and Arabic world.
- To acquaint students with the socio-cultural, commercial, political and diplomatic aspects of the life of speakers of the language, with a view to promoting international understanding.