The Council of the University consists of:
- The Pro-Chancellor;
- The Vice-Chancellor;
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellors;
- Representative of the Federal Ministry of Education responsible for Education;
- Four (4) persons representing a variety of interests and broadly representative of the whole Federation to be appointed by the Federal Executive Council;
- Four (4) persons appointed by the Senate among its members;
- Two (2) persons appointed by Congregation from among its members;
- One (1) person appointed by Convocation from among its members.
Role of Council
- the Council, i.e. the governing body of the University, is charged with the general control and superintendence of policy, finances and properties of the University, including its public relations.
- The Council shall ensure that proper accounts of the University are kept and are audited annually by an independent firm of Auditors approved by the Council and that an annual report is published by the University together with certified copies of the said accounts as audited.
- The Council is responsible for the appointment, promotion and discipline of staff.