Faculty of Dental Science
The Faculty of Dental Sciences was established in August 2019 by the Senate of the University with the aim of training dental Surgeons and allied dental health workers who will provide the dental services to the Northern Nigeria and the country in general. The Faculty has its first set of students and 2018/2019 session. Currently, the faculty has 40 students enrolled in the bachelor of Dental surgery (BDS) programme.
Our VisionTo be a Centre of Excellent in Teaching, Research and Community Service in Oral Health Care services in order to promote and restore health, as well as prevent diseases and alleviate sufferings of human population.
Our MissionTo produce excellent and qualitative undergraduate and post-graduate dental surgeons and allied dental healthcare workers that will provide effective and efficient dental care to individuals, families and communities. To serve as the Centre of Excellent for oral Health Sciences’ research and services.
- To attain and maintain excellent and qualitative learning through high level training in dentistry and various allied dental healthcare professions and postgraduate programmes.
- To provide effective and efficient oral healthcare services to the human populace.
- To effectively address the oral health care needs of the society.
- To train professional dental practitioners who will utilize theoretical models, knowledge derived from research, and critical thinking skills to assist individuals and communities adapt to changing health needs by providing reliable, effective and acceptable professional health service in the homes, communities and health care institutions and the society at large.
- To train professional dental practitioners who will be intellectually stimulated to continually improve their practice skills through the utilization of research findings.
- Provide sound academic professional background for professional dentist who would be capable of working anywhere in the world with sufficient management ability to play leadership role in training and the practice of dental science.
- Offer general and professional education for dentists who will be able to utilize psycho-social and physical factors in health promotion, health maintenance and health restoration.
- To produce world-class, flexible and pro-active dental-practitioners capable of performing dental and maxillofacial surgery skills in a variety of settings, therapeutically assisting individuals, families and communities with diverse backgrounds and health problems to attain optimal health.
- Prepare dental-practitioners capable of relating the role of health services to the broader social system, and who will be engaged in life-long and self-directed learning
Structure of the FacultyThe Faculty comprises five departments as follows:
- Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology/ Surgery
- Department of Child Dental Health
- Department of Preventive Dentistry
- Department of Restorative Dentistry