M.Sc Renewable Energy
News and Updates
PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The programme is designed to produce graduates equipped with sufficient theoretical knowledge and skills in the design, development, deployment and marketing of renewable energy systems. It is intended to produce experts in renewable energy technologies. The course is targeted at qualified applicants with good background in science or engineering courses, willing to pursue high level training at M.Sc. level for a fulfilling career in the energy industry, tertiary institutions or research institutes.
AIM AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of the programme is to train students to acquire the conceptual understanding and sound technical knowledge of renewable energy systems for sustainable development. The objectives of the programme are to:
- equip candidates with the requisite skills that will upgrade their basic knowledge and enhance their research skills in the design, development, deployment and applications of renewable energy technologies and systems.
- ii. produce competent professional energy experts capable of applying renewable energy technology in solving the energy needs of modern society, especially for applications in rural areas and remote locations; and
- produce qualified graduates capable of undertaking high level research at doctoral degree level for high profile career in academics or industry
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Energy Studies, Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Electronics, Biochemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or any other relevant course from the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto or other recognized universities with at least second class honours or its equivalent;
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in cognate disciplines, such as, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Biology, Agricultural Science, Architecture, Building, Environmental Science e.t.c., from the Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto or other recognised universities with at least second class honours or its equivalent.
- A third class degree or Higher National Diploma (Upper Credit) and a postgraduate diploma with CGPA of at least 3.00 on 5.0 point scale in Energy Studies, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Electronics, Biochemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or cognate disciplines.
- In addition to (i) to (iiii) above, a candidate must satisfy the matriculation requirements of the university.
MODE OF STUDY
The programme shall run on full-time basis and shall be by course work and research to be embodied in a dissertation.
Minimum of 24 and maximum of 48 calendar months.
- Teachers/lecturers in universities, polytechnics and other educational institutions
- Researchers in tertiary and research institutions
- oil and gas industries
- the energy sector
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION
- Register and pass 42 units made up of 28 units of core courses and 2 units of elective courses; and
- Dissertation of 12 units in a relevant area of specialisation which must be defended before a panel of internal and external examiners. The dissertation shall be graded with a minimum score of at least 50%.
AREAS OF SPECIALISATION
- Solar thermal energy,
- Solar photovoltaic energy,
- Small hydropower,
- Hybrid systems,
- Wind energy, and
- Energy modelling and marketing
Email: email@example.com Phone: +234(0)8032303517
List of Core Courses:
|COURSE CODE||COURSE TITLE||UNIT|
|CHE 844||ICT and Research Method||2[2+0]|
|MRE 801||Introduction to Energy Resources, Exploration and Utilization||2[2+0]|
|MRE 802||Principles and Technologies of Solar Thermal Systems||2[2+0]|
|MRE 803||Principles and Technologies of Solar Photovoltaic (PV)|
|MRE 804||Principles and Technologies of Wind Energy Systems||2[2+0]|
|MRE 805||Principles and Technologies of Small Hydropower Systems||2[2+0]|
|MRE 806||Principles and Technologies of Bio-Energy Systems||2[2+0]|
|MRE 808||Management and Economics of Energy Resources||2[2+0]|
|MRE 809||Science Technology and Society||2[2+0]|
|MRE 810||Energy and Environment||2[2+0]|
|MRE 811||Direct Energy Conservation||2[2+0]|
|MRE 815||Local Solutions for Energy Access||2[2+0]|
|MRE 816||Appliances for off-grid communities||2[2+0]|
List of Elective Courses:
|COURSE CODE||COURSE TITLE||UNIT|
|MRE 812||Emerging Renewable Energy Resources||2[2+0]|
|MRE 813||Nuclear Fuel Technology||2[2+0]|
|MRE 814||Advanced Thermodynamics||2[2+0]|
|PHY 808||Physics and Technology of Semi-conduct Devices||2[2+0]|
|PHY 812||Thin Film Technology||2[2+0]|