Abdullahi Fodio Library
The library is under the leadership of the University’s librarian, Dr. A. K. Nuhu B.A. Lib. Sci. (BUK), MLS (ABU), Ph.D. (UDUS)
Usable floor areas in m2 4,495.60M2
Students Population served 23,460
Seating capacity 4,500
Library Opening and closing hours
- Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Saturday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Sunday 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- For academic Staff 10 books/month
- For Students
- Sub-Degree Students 2 books/2 weeks
- Undergraduate Students 4 books/2 weeks
- Postgraduate Students 6 books/month
List all books, journals and related facilities for:
- General Reading
- General Education
- Degree Programme
- Programme to be accredited
Indicate how the Library is organized to effectively cope with its smooth administration and use (include organisation chart).
The AbdullahiFodiyo Library which is the University’s main library is organized into the following Divisions/Sections for effective and smooth administration and use (see organization chart below)
Office of the University Librarian is responsible for the planning and coordination of library development and services in the University. The office is responsible for administration and coordination of the activities of the following units/divisions of the Library and branches. Refer to Library Guide
The Main Library
This is a two-storey ultra-modern building and is situated at the Main Campus. It caters for the needs of the Faculties of Agriculture, Arts and Islamic Studies, Education and Extension Services, Management Sciences, Social Sciences and Science. The Library collections now stand at about 850,000 volumes of books and 170,000 volumes of periodicals, which comprise both local and foreign journals, magazines, news bulletins, newspapers, etc. In addition, there are numerous electronic journals and databases available for teaching, learning and research. It consists of various sections, locations and services as follows:
- Ground Floor- has two wings and contains the following offices, facilities, service points and collections:
- Porters Counter- is the first point of contact on entering the Library. This is where the Library security personnel are stationed. They are to ensure that all personal belongings are kept in the lockable pigeon holes provided for male and female students respectively. Also, they ensure that all outgoing users are checked in order to prevent any illegal/ unauthorized removal of books and other materials from the Library.
- The OPAC- (On-line Public Access Catalogue). After passing the Porters Counter is the OPAC. This is an array of networked computers on both sides of the Library. It is the electronic form of a catalogue that provides information on books, journals and other materials inputted electronically. All that the Library user needs is to determine his / her key or search terms, such as author, title or subject. If any of such terms is entered, a range of information relating to such sources will be displayed on the computer screen. A selection of a relevant item can then be made by title, author or subject. You then double click such an item or go to enquiries and type the required query. All the items on such query will then be displayed showing location, dates and number of copies available in the Library.
- LAN/WiFi Internet Browsing Arena- It is located next to the Central Catalogue and opposite the OPAC space. The place is equipped with LAN and WiFi Internet facilities and Airport relaxation chairs for undergraduate students to access and use the Internet using their personal laptops, ipads, smartphones, etc.
- Information/Inquiries- is at the centre just after the OPAC, where all queries are presented, with relevant information obtainable about the Library, its operation, facilities, services and locations.
- Library Canteen- this is located directly opposite the Staff Common Room. This is where some light refreshments are sold to interested users.
- New Arrivals- is located close to the Circulation Counter, where newly acquired books and other materials of general interests are displayed for consultation/light reading by users.
- Circulation Counter- is located at the extreme corner on the ground floor. This is where user registration, clearance, borrowing, and return of books are done.
- Television and Newspaper Lounge- is located directly opposite the Circulation Counter. This is a relaxation area for reading newspapers/magazines and television programmes, provided for male students. A similar facility is available on the first floor for female students.
- Staff Common Room- is located close to the Television and Newspaper Lounge. This is a relaxation area where television and newspapers/magazines are provided for exclusive use of senior staff.
- Reference Collection- is located on the left wing of the Library. It contains reference collections such as encyclopaedias, bibliographies, handbooks, yearbooks, indexes, abstracts, biographies, atlases, maps, and other resources like newspaper articles/cuttings, covering various subject fields.
- Serials Collection- is located on the right wing of the Library. It contains local and foreign journals, periodicals and magazines.
- Media Unit- is located behind the Television and Newspaper Lounge. It contains audio-visual collection/ facilities. It is equipped with various audio-visual resources on different subject fields as well as other recording equipment for use by registered users of the Library.
2. First Floor- has two wings and it accommodates the following:
- ICT/ e-Library. It has Internet facilities and is equipped with computers and accessories for browsing, downloading and printing by Library users. In this section, users can have access to various electronic databases relevant to their areas of study and research. The section is in between the Management Sciences and Arts and Education Collection areas.
- Management/Social Sciences Collection. This section contains Management and social Sciences textbooks for both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. It is located on the right wing of the Library. Apart from books on the reserved collection, all materials on the open shelves can be borrowed out.
- Arts and Education Collection. This section contains Arts and Education textbooks for both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. It is on the left wing of the Library. Apart from the books on the reserved collection, all materials on the open shelves can be borrowed out.
- Africana/ Documents Collection. It is situated between the Library Cafe and the ICT Division. It contains important publications of Federal, State and Local Governments of Nigeria and their agencies/parastatals, international and inter-governmental organizations, etc. Books written by Nigerians /Africans or about Nigeria/Africa are reserved in this section.
- Study Carrels are single user/research compartments, located just opposite the Africana and Documents Division. Access to the carrels is restricted to only senior staff, postgraduate students and visiting researchers based on special request.
3. Second Floor has two wings and it accommodates a number of collections, facilities and services in various Divisions as follows:
- Science and Agriculture Collection can be found on the right wing of the Library. Essentially, it contains resources on Science and Agriculture. Apart from the books on reserved collection, all materials on the open shelves can be borrowed out.
- Arabic and Islamic Studies Collection is found on the left wing of the Library. This caters for the needs of the Departments of Arabic and Islamic Studies. All books can be borrowed out except those on the reserved collection.
- Research and Bibliographic Services Division is in-between the two wings (Science and Agriculture and Arts and Islamic Studies). Important research works for all programmes and levels and for further researches are found here. Specifically, these comprise the following:
- Undergraduate Projects
- Postgraduate theses and dissertations
- Back sets of newspapers and magazines
- Archives and special collections
- General Reserve Collection. It houses rare, frequently used and newly acquired books. Users are allowed to borrow reserved books for a period of two hours and can renew if there is no request
- The Law Library: This is a purposely built modern Library for the Faculty of Law which is located at the Main Campus. It houses both the Library and a Moot Court. However, staff and students in other faculties who are interested in consulting legal materials may also use the Library.
- Veterinary Medicine Library: This is situated at the City Campus. It serves the needs of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
- The School of Matriculation Studies Library (SMS) is situated at the School of Matriculation Studies, which is also close to the City Campus. The SMS Library also contains the American Corner collection, which covers American history, politics and government, among others.
- Medical Library: This is situated at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital. It serves as Central Library for health science based programmes.
- The Pharmaceutical Sciences Library: This is Located at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital (UDUTH). It serves the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- The Medical Laboratory Science Library: This is also situated at the Teaching Hospital. It serves the Faculty of Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Nursing Sciences Departmental Library: This is also situated at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital. It serves the needs of Nursing Sciences programme.
- Radiography Departmental Library: This is also situated at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital. It serves the needs of Radiography programme.
- Prof. A.A. Gwandu Arabic and Islamic Studies Library: This is situated at the City Campus. It houses manuscripts collections and other information materials on the Sokoto Caliphate and Islamic Studies.
- Faculty of Arts and Islamic Studies Library: This is located the Faculty of Arts and Islamic Studies to cater for the information needs of the Faculty.
- Nigerian Languages Departmental Library: This is located at the Department of Nigerian Languages. It contains collections on Hausa Language, Literature and Culture.
- Modern European Languages and Linguistic (MELL). This is located at the Department of MELL to cater for users of English Language, Literature, Linguistics, and French programmes.
- History Departmental Library: This is located at the Department of History. It provides information materials on history and related areas.
- Arabic Departmental Library: This is located at the Department of Arabic. It provides information resources on Arabic and other related areas.
- Management Sciences Faculty Library: This is situated at the Faculty of Management Sciences. It caters for the needs of the Departments of Accounting, Business Administration, and Public Administration.
- Social Sciences Faculty Library: This is situated at the Faculty of Social Sciences. It caters for the needs of the Departments of Economics, Geography, Political Science, and Sociology.
- Urology and Nephrology Library: This is located and the Institute of Urology and Nephrology, situated at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital. It houses materials relevant to the Institute.
Professional Services Offered by the Library
Describe briefly the services offered by the Library including deliberate efforts made to ensure maximum use of the library by both staff and students. Also services rendered to new students to be able to use the library effectively and to enable them obtain materials from other libraries in the environment and within Nigeria.
In addition to the services offered by the different and specialized Divisions and Sections of the Library, deliberate efforts embarked upon by the Library to ensure maximum utilization by users include:
- Membership Registration: Both old and new staff and students are made to register with the Library at the beginning of every session. This enables them to borrow and use library materials;
- Library Orientation: At the beginning of every session, new students are lectured, taken round the Library and provided with practical examples on how to maximally use the Library. A Library Guide is produced and made available to users upon payment of a token fee. The Guide is a pamphlet containing all the required information that guides on the use of the Library, its rules and regulations, and its various services;
- Lending Policy:
- Staff: To facilitate use of Library materials outside the Library, all registered staff are allowed to borrow up to 10 books for a maximum period of one month at a time
- Students: As in section 19.2
- Vacation Loan: On special application, with approval by the Librarian, students could borrow up to 2 books for use during breaks
- Inter Library Loan: As a facility existing among all Nigerian University Libraries, efforts are being made on request, to borrow original book/title or acquire a photocopy for staff or students by the Reader Services Division
- The Library encourages Business Centres to install such machines as computers, photocopiers and typewriters to service the needs of library users.
- Other available facilities in the University that facilitate access to national and international library and information resources include:
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University Network (UDUNet).
- National University Commission Network (NUNet).
- National Virtual Library
- Inter Library Loan